Thursday, February 18, 2010

Palm WebOS

My experiences programming for Palm WebOS has been an interesting adventure. I'm enjoying this new path of programming for mobile devices. I've written several programs, off and on, for Windows mobile devices, but none that I sold to others. I wanted to code for the iPhone, but I like things to be simple and coding for the iPhone took lots of my time.

I already knew HTML, Javascript, JAVA, C#, CSS, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, AJAX, SQL, MYSQL, PHP, and some C and C++. So I needed a language that didn't require me to start over again.

Palm WebOS became exciting to me. I was one of the first developers to port my application to the Pre. It was difficult at first because I needed to learn the syntax of a few languages I've never encountered before.

SQLite, Mojo, JSON, Prototype! What in the world are these? One of the problems learning a new language when you know so many is that you have to almost become a child to learn the new, otherwise you will automatically try to solve the new development problems using the same language structure of the old.

Just like not knowing about coding, and learning a new language has its restraints and learning curve.

What I've learned about UI development for Palm WebOS has increased my UI development for desktop and web apps; I don't have words to express the appreciation.

Programming for the Pre and Pixie requires a UI developer to create an environment that is simple and yet communicates exactly what the user needs to know. Don't make me think.

If a person has to think about what they are doing, then the application is not working. I've purchased and downloaded free applications from the Palm Catalog and could not figure out what to do.

There was one gun application that tried to tell me to cock the rifle by holding the phone up and pushing forward. It didn't work. I couldn't figure it out. I read in detail, wrote it down and nothing worked. Either the app was broke or I was dumb.

Anyway, I've been developing UI and coding for more than 10 years and learned a great deal about what people want and how to speak to them with my applications. I am happy that Palm came out with such a great roadmap.

It doesn't take a lot of my time to develop a great application. I created my third application in 4 days. It's called Fake A Ring!

To all those who wish to learn and make money having fun. It's a great place to be.

No comments: